Today marks 461 years since Queen Elizabeth I ascended the throne. Give thanks for the stability which the monarchy brings to the country.
This week we are praying for the Candidates in the General Election. Most will be standing because they have been selected by the political parties that they are members of, whilst others are independents who have either a strong commitment to the area the constituency is in or a deeply held conviction about one or more issues that they do not feel are properly addressed by the political parties. There were no independent MPs elected to the last parliament (although some resigned from their party after being elected), the following were the totals in that election: Conservative 317, Labour 262, Scottish National 35, Liberal Democrat 12, Democratic Unionist 10, Sinn Fein 9 (Sinn Fein representatives do not take their seat in Westminster on principle), Plaid Cymru 4, Green 1. A map of these results can be seen here.
A good election will be a strongly contested battle of ideas which will take place on the national stage but also locally between candidates. Pray that this battle is conducted well, focussed on issues not personalities and that messages are heard clearly.
Your Local Constituency Candidates. Click here and then enter your postcode to find a complete list of candidates in your constituency. Print out this list so that you can pray for them all in the days and weeks ahead.
- Pray for integrity in the way ideas are put forward and also in the way other party’s statements are refuted or debated
- Pray for protection of your local candidates from vitriolic abuse and even physical threats
- Pray for local hustings to be conducted well and to be well advertised in advance
- Candidates may well be subjected to intense media scrutiny of their past lives and relationships. Pray for them that they will be able to cope with this and to rise above it
- If your former MP is standing again in this election, pray that they might be prepared for the result this time; if it is to win again that they might be refreshed for the new session but if not that they might have a plan for what comes after parliament
- Pray that the national campaigns will be conducted with integrity
Bible reading: Exodus 18:13-26
CARE have launched a website devoted to information about, and prayer for, the Election. It is www.engaGE19.org.uk and their suggested prayer for today is included above.
Each week we will be focussing our prayer as below:
- THIS WEEK: The Media and Election Communication
- NEXT WEEK: Policies and Manifestos
- W/c 8th December: Election Week