160 people were killed when a V2 rocket hit the Deptford Woolworth’s today in 1943. Earlier this month we remembered those from the military who gave their lives for their country. Let us also remember the many civilians who were killed in the Second World War.
Today we are focussing on the reporting being relevant.It’s important that the issues that matter to the electorate are reported, and not things like the style of one politician’s hair or another’s dress. We cannot determine our looks, the class or privilege we were or were not born into and nor can the candidates, so those things should not be at the front of reporting.
Instead, we need quality journalism investigating the claims made in the campaign and holding all politicians to account.
- Pray that in the melee to get the best scoop the journalists and news editors will not lose sight of their responsibility to present relevant information to their listeners, viewers or readers
- Pray that local news media will not lose sight of important local issues in their coverage, as well as holding local candidates to account on issues in their manifestos
- Pray that the voters will be able to make wise decisions based on the information they get from the media on the issues that concern them most as individuals
- Pray that the level of reporting will be far above what might be deemed ‘gossip’, even in the popular press
- Thank God that we do have ‘freedom of the Press’ and that, on the whole, it is not abused.
Bible Reading: Proverbs 26:18-28 Today’s prayer from engaGE19.org.uk: Heavenly Father, we commit to You every candidate standing for election, their families and their supporters. Amen.
CARE have launched a website devoted to information about, and prayer for, the Election. It is www.engaGE19.org.uk and their suggested prayer for today is included above.
Each week we will be focussing our prayer as below:
- THIS WEEK: The Media and Election Communication
- NEXT WEEK: Policies and Manifestos
- W/c 8th December: Election Week