353 planes of the Japanese Imperial Navy attacked Pearl Harbor and the US Navy fleet based there today in 1941, causing the USA to declare war on Japan and also to join the war against Germany.
The final policy issue we will pray about this election is the NHS. It has always been an issue that raises temperatures in election campaigns and there does not seem to be an agreed treatment for its ills and needs.
All parties are committed to the NHS, but have different views about how to make it fit for the population of today. When it was founded in the 1940s most began to work (and pay taxes and National Insurance) in their late teens, and few lived many years into retirement. Does it just need more money, does it need radical reform, or is it fit for purpose?
- Pray for all the doctors, nurses, administrators, cleaners and others who work for or work with the NHS; pray for improving morale and that they will go home at the end of their shifts content with a good job done as they reflect on the people they have supported each day
- Pray that money will be well spent in all branches of the NHS, that where there is waste it will be spotted and corrected
- Pray for adequate provision this winter for the protection of the public against seasonal illnesses
- Pray for honesty about the relationship between public and private money in the NHS (Dentists, Opticians, Chemists have always been private, for instance) and whether it is a good or bad thing for there to be more private involvement
- Pray that after the election there might be a cross-party effort to build a sustainable future plan for the NHS
- Pray that the growing trend towards suing the Health Service (which uses up a lot of the budget) will end
- Give thanks for every person you know who works in or for the NHS
Bible Reading: 1 Thessalonians 5:12,13 Today’s prayer from engaGE19.org.uk: God of Justice, please move the political parties to consider how the UK can become a more compassionate and fair society. Amen.
As we pray through Advent, we are preparing for the coming of Jesus. This blog is about praying for our nation in this election, so I suggest using this song as our Advent prayer each day.
CARE have launched a website devoted to information about, and prayer for, the Election. It is www.engaGE19.org.uk and their suggested prayer for today is included above.
Each week we will be focussing our prayer as below:
THIS WEEK: Policies and Manifestos
NEXT WEEK: Election Week